Supper Dance By Dipasha BC

10:57 AM

Wtching popular Kollywood and Bollywood dance numbers on TV in her village in Tistung, she got cold feet when she was put in a Bharatnatyam group in her first year.
“I had never heard of Bharatnatyam in my life. Getting the precise movements and expressions correct was very challenging. But with practice and my gurus’ guidance I started enjoying the dance,” recalls Sulochana who trained under Krishna Pradhan and Yagya Man Shakya in college.
With a BA degree in hand, the talented dancer left for Banaras Hindu University (BHU) in 2010 to sharpen her craft and broaden her understanding of classical dance forms. It was during her two years in Banaras when Sulochana realised how far we lag behind in our performing arts curriculum. “My Indian classmates were far ahead of me and the first semester was definitely the toughest,” she admits. “I felt like I was starting from the very bottom because everything I had learnt in college was a fraction of what I was expected to know at BHU.”
Sulochana’s hard work and perseverance finally paid off paid when she graduated last year with a master’s degree in Bharatnatyam.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images